Monday, October 11, 2010

Well said

Things I have been meaning to note, so I can remember...

From a post by TangoCherie a little while ago, on the close embrace:

People from "English" cultures are not used to being that close to someone who is not their sweetheart or beloved relative;  sometimes their emotions get all confused after a tanda of moving together as one, hugged so dearly by a stranger.

--"Don't Fear It, Embrace It!"

(I had thought I was fairly immune to this, but it turns out, not really, as I've mentioned. Doing better again more recently, though.)

...

A cousin of mine recently stayed with me, over the weekend of another cousin's wedding. (I have a lot of cousins.) One evening while she was here, we were amusing ourselves on YouTube, exchanging our favorite dance videos. I showed her one of Silvina Vals and Oliver Kolker dancing milonga, from a festival a few years ago.

"I never know quite what to make of it," I mused to her. "Over time, I've come to admire it more and more--which surprises me. Usually when teachers give demos like this, I worry that--although they are amazing to watch--everyone will want to dance like that on the social floor afterward. That's a really impossible situation. And then, I don't really know how to classify their dancing..."

I went on for a bit about stage vs. social and how this doesn't seem completely either to me.

In the end, my cousin simply remarked, "So they're dancing their tango."

Oh!

Hmm...

1 comment:

  1. Hi, we just started a new blog on tango history...each day we post an event that
    happened that day in tango history...it can be the birth of a famous singer,
    composer of poet, the debut of a film or the recording of a famous tango song...
    you can even search tango principles according to their sun sign

    Can you help spread the word by letting your students know about it or placing
    a link on your blog...there is no advertising or money involved...we're
    not selling anything, we simply love tango and in particular tango history...we
    welcome any suggestions.....

    If you come to Rome, please let us know...we would be glad to welcome you
    and show you around; my wife and I love meeting and being with people...thanks, have a
    nice day...well here is the link http://todayintango.wordpress.com/


    Oscar Wright and Maria Teresa Ruocco
    66 via ovidio
    00195 Rome, italy
    Hm 06-45437139
    Cel: 340-646-7159
    Web Site: http://www.zentangodeoscarwright.com

    ReplyDelete